Friday, July 18, 2014

Master Mating...(yeah...I went there)

I have the best husband in this crazy, mixed up world. He is kind, patient, talented, funny, smart, ...and a cutie patootie, as well. He was such a catch, in fact, that when I met him  (he was 15) I snatched that up like good gravy and NEVER let go. So now I've been married 12 years and have two kids. We are still super happy. We've never let the sun go down on an argument.  ( I think this might just make me an expert!)  I am about to lay down the best advice I have for choosing the right mate.... 

1. If you wanna be my lover, you gotta get with my friends...
I DO NOT mean it in THAT way..(perv) ...But love is blind, and hind sight is 20/20. If you have great friends (if you don't get new ones), they should not hate your significant other. You have already vetted your friends...if they hate him/her, ask yourself why... You need to take a step back and evaluate whether the "rose-colored glasses" are affecting your eyes.

2. Take a stand...together....
You need to find someone with similar moral and political views to your own...If you are a Christian, you probably won't be too happy when she sets up a pentacle in the backyard to pray to her goddess...Even if she does dance naked in the backyard....


3. Find someone who doesn't EVER make you want to kick them in the teeth.
This sounds simple enough, but I see it ALL the time. If you constantly get annoyed by the other person, How can you imagine that it will possibly get better????
4. Aside from the paper bag test, looks do not matter. The paper bag test is simple. If you were to roll over in the morning and say, "Dang! Not before coffee!" then they aren't attractive enough to YOU... 

However, if they pass the paper bag test, then give them a shot.... The movie The Truth About Cats and Dogs has the best quote: "You know how someone's appearance can change the longer you know them? How a really attractive person, if you don't like them, can become more and more ugly; whereas someone you might not have even have noticed... that you wouldn't look at more than once, if you love them, can become the most beautiful thing you've ever seen. All you want to do is be near them." 

Call me Yentel, but I once set up a couple on a date, and a few days later, I received a phone call. She said," Ang, I'm not  sure this is going to work out.... He's okay...I like him...I'm just not sure..." So I told her that 'this person was like a fine wine. He gets better as you get to know him.' They are married now, and I'm proud to say that she listened and got to see what I already knew. 
We will all end up old and wrinkly... or stitched up so tight that when you smile, the skin pulls enough to pop your boobs out of your bra... The unfortunate truth is that our society is too fixed on physical appearance. The secret to finding a great partner is looking at the heart and brain...

5. Don't be unrealistic. Hollywood has given us a false sense of romance and love. People are not mind readers and ladies...boys haven't watched most of your movies.... give each other a break and appreciate any attempts at being romantical.


So, I hope this helps you in your quest to finding someone to spend your life with. Sometimes you just have to get out of your own way...








No comments:

Post a Comment