Sunday, July 20, 2014

Bringing Down the House

Stress. It sucks. It sucks like a vacuum in a vortex. We all have it. In a society like ours, it is the most common emotion around. I, for one, get so stressed that I can become incapacitated at the sight of cleaning my house.

I make jokes, but it's true. When I'm overwhelmed, I just end up staring.... defeated...at the mountain before me...  
Stress makes people do crazy things. We need to be aware of how we affect others in those times of stress, and how to handle stress in a calm, effective manner. I love lists! So, without further adieu, here are the very best ways to deal with the weight of the world:
1. Don't worry about it. I know that it's easier said than done, but sometimes we worry about things we don't have to. For example, worry or not, my father has cancer. If I let that idea fester in my mind ...all day...every day... I would completely shut down as a person. I have to realize that worrying doesn't help anything, and to remember that he is here today, and that is all ANY OF US have for sure.....


2. Take a deep breath. Nothing zaps cortisol ( the stress hormone) like yoga and meditation. There are many people who have cured their cancer by deep breathing exercises and a healthy diet. Cortisol is a bad hormone.... It is responsible for storing unhealthy belly fat as a survival technique in times of stress....freakin' cortisol....as if we didn't have enough to worry about....

3. Deal with it. If the problem is something you have control over, it will only bother you until you effectively deal with the issue at hand. It may seem scary to confront your problems, but it is better than growing a baby ulcer...

4. Open up. People can only help you if you tell them what's going on and let them. People are much more understanding of your issues when they know you have them. People are not mind readers. It's not like they have espn or something....

5. It can't rain forever. Stress comes and goes like the weather. Everyone has terrible, horrible, no good, very bad days...even in Australia...lol. 
So, remember... Everyone has problems... It is important, when stressed, to realize that at any point, everyone around you is dealing with their own problems...Just as important...Just as difficult... at least for them... If we can avoid being over dramatic about ourselves, we will come to learn that I can help you...and you can help me... and we can remember that the world is a big place where we are all practically equal... 
The Bible tells us to examine ourselves...This world is driven now by the idea of "It only matters what happens to me." "It's all about me." ..... If we can  assess and remove ourselves from the egocentrism that plagues our society, then we can cope with our stressors without projecting our worries onto the rest of the world... 
Take a deep breath...This, too, shall pass.... You can't have a rainbow without some rain....You can't have pure gold without refining it with fire....and you can't have a diamond without some serious pressure....

 (exit to cheesy Rihanna outtro music) 

Peace :)

No comments:

Post a Comment