Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Beauty Is In the Eye of the Beerholder

I think it's high time that guys in my generation (and the ones immediately following) realize that a bar may not be best place to pick up women. It's no secret that most of my friends are guys.... I like guys... As girly as I am, I drink beer, tell dirty jokes, and I think farts are hilarious. I can out-guy most guys I know! On the one hand, It hurts my heart to hear "my boys" wail about how they can't find any decent girls, that all the good girls are taken, and that girls care too much about money and looks. On the flip side, I'm like, "what?!" ...Because most single girls I know are sweet and funny and just as achingly desperate to meet a worthwhile guy. Then it hits me like a bug on a windshield...They are going to bars! I am fully aware that there are very few outlets for meeting people after high school/ college. I'm not saying that I never go to a bar...I do improv in a bar... But I'm busy there... Most lovely ladies I know only go to a bar in a gaggle...and it's often either a girls' night or a friends' gathering or some function (like my group's show!) Not that there aren't nice women in a bar, but bad decisions are imminent..and most smart women try to avoid them..so unless she has a social "thing", she is probably at home in her pjs, drowning her sorrows in a pint of Ben and Jerry's.. Here I have compiled a list of BETTER places to meet a fine upstanding girl..a keeper... and for goodness sake, boys, if you aren't doing any of this..pay attention to the following:

1. Don't discount friends... The most obvious vein of options may lie in the friend system. Have lovely girl friends? Ask them if they know any single girls... (DO NOT ask a single girl this question if you value your man parts)Girls of similar personality and value systems tend to flock together. If your friend is "would be" dating material, her friends probably are, too.

2. Thank God for the Ladies...at church. This is probably only a good idea if you are a religious person yourself, but even if you aren't, perhaps a friend is. Are they having a function? Many churches have activities that aren't overly "churchy"... just make sure you know what these people believe before you go. Sometimes that's a deal breaker.

3. Show her your bookworm!  The local library almost always has a series of book clubs. If you like to read, Go join a group...You already have something in common with every girl there.

4. I like to call it "Caffeindating" Practically everyone who is over 18 drinks starbucks... and this shows guys two things immediately. First it shows that she is human and has good taste. Second, it proves she is successful because otherwise who can afford it.

5. So..You think you can dance?  If you can, why are you single? If you can't, it's time to learn. Most girls love to dance, and any guy that can walk up to a woman sitting in a dance club and ask her to dance already has the tools to win hearts. Side note, if you can dance ballroom, your dance card will always stay full.

I'm letting you in on a real girl secret here....Listen up!
 Ready, Set, Get over yourself!  There is a vast, rarely tapped pool of female nerd princesses. They like cosplay (wink!)... They like sci fi... They like boys... If you think you are too cool for anything, wake up! You are single! Officially...not too cool... Dip your toe into the world of comicon. Try Star Trek. Star Wars. Dare I say it... Young adult novels... There are conventions.. There are meetings.. Midnight movie premiers... This is an awesome girl goldmine... And you might even have fun.... one caveat: She might just be smarter than you!
**I once had a male friend say to me, "I want a girl just like you...that looks like Lindsay Lohan! (pre crack monkey).. I promptly told him that Girls that look like that don't end up with personalities like mine. That isn't necessarily true, but this is the principle. If you are looking for the perfect girl..she doesn't exist. However, if you are willing to get out of your own way... You might find the perfect girl for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment