Tuesday, July 22, 2014

If You're Happy and You Know It, What Pills Are You On?

There is a disturbing trend on the web right now.... It is drowning in love yourself, love yourself, love yourself.... It's not necessarily a bad thing... except that more and more people are using that as an excuse not to care about important things.What kind of mentality are we cultivating?! "It's all about me. If it doesn't make me happy, I'm not interested."  I'm a large girl. It isn't healthy. I should accept myself, but I shouldn't be happy about being unhealthy.

 I do recognize the need to do something about it. Spandex is a privilege, not a right. I walk. I drink lots of water. I am hoping to incorporate an active physical education into my children's school curriculum. I'm taking initiative. Do I like it? Exercise makes me about as happy as having a root canal., but it's necessary...

The point is this: At what point did we decide that we must be happy ALL. THE. TIME?!?
I believe that we are one of the most UN-happy generations to ever live....and with the black death, the holocaust, and the crusades looming in the background of history, I believe that is saying something. Over half of the facebook posts I read are so depressing.... or angry..or fake.. but if we feel down for more than a day, we run to our doctor for happy pills.... Most people on those pills aren't happy...It simply makes them not feel anything. Life is happy, sad, pain, grief, laughter, sunshine, and rain.... It is an up and down roller coaster of emotion. We were never meant to only be happy... I think we all live out our negative emotions vicariously through grumpy cat.


So.... I'm going to give you permission.... It is okay to feel bad. It is okay to cry. It is okay to feel feelings. I recently had someone tell me I was too sensitive... I didn't lash out at anyone. I didn't get defensive. I got emotional. I took two minutes, excused myself to the bathroom, pulled up my big girl panties, and then acted professional. I'm sorry if you think that having feelings makes me a wuss. 

If you see someone else being emotional, just walk by and tell them "It's cool!" Our lives are one rushing stressor to the next. It is okay to lose it a minute. It is healthy, even. Remember that no one got handed a playbook for life and we are all in this hole together. No one blows sunshine and rainbows out of their noses....except Ke$ha...and  I've seen her videos...she may not be human...

So hang on ...I love ya....We will survive...Live like a supermodel...only eat...

No comments:

Post a Comment