Monday, June 30, 2014

The Quest for Nerdvana ( a.k.a. Sparkly Vampires are People, Too)

I am a nerd. I am a Star Trek, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Doctor Who, Firefly, Sherlock, Psych, Hunger Games, Harry Potter, comic books,  Divergent, Fault in Our Stars, Chuck, and Big Bang Theory fandom freakshow. My house is filled with more nerd bling than the lockers at Google. I love it! I don't care who knows it. As we speak, I am rocking the Batman emblem across my chest. That means, I know fandoms... I AM fandoms.

With that being said, The nerd flag flies over a banner that reads, "Like what you want!" "No judgement here!" It is a wonderful, beautiful ideology. It is also apparently a myth...because I have one more fandom...Twilight. I love twilight. I have read the stories at least 6 times. It is good and moral and sweet. It is SO much more eloquently written than 50 Shades of Grey...Yet people Jump at the opportunity to burn the entire series to the ground. Granted, the movies are not the best ever...they alter the characters a bit and add vampire scenes to appeal to the Fangoria crowd...To me it wasn't about vampires at all. It was a love story including vampires... and I loved it. Come on, people. WE are supposed to be the dreamers..the visionaries... the ones who dream big and live bigger... Can't we imagine a world where sparkly nice vampires exist?! I know I can...
So when you see me out and about, carrying my Edward lunchbox, remember that the world of awesome is big enough for everyone....Even a 30 something nerd girl with a crush on sparkly bloodsuckers...

No comments:

Post a Comment