Sunday, June 29, 2014

View From the Asylum


If Sherlock Holmes has a 'mind- palace', I have a graffiti covered alleyway with layers of paint caking the bricks... It's not so bad, I guess... The colors are nice! I am an artist, a comedian, a college graduate, a singer, an actress, a wife, and a homeschooling mom... It seems, however, that the homeschooling mother role is the only one that sticks in people's minds. 

There is an old adage about marriage that can be adapted to how people treat me when they learn that this is my primary life role. It goes, " Homeschooling seems  like a wonderful institution...but who wants to live in an institution?" My answer is fairly simple... My children are worth it. I'm not going to pander you with lies of, "it's not hard..."or,  "I never get tired of my children." Those people are either liars, or they have Martha Stewart's organizational skill set. WHAT?!? ..If i get both kids fed and dressed without someone stepping on a lego, its a winning day before we even start school. 

There is a lot more to me than my children, though they are extremely important. That is why I am writing this blog. Many have shared their desire for me to impart my unique and twisted slant on everything from the daily grind to world affairs... If i can summon a chuckle or open someone's eyes to a new perspective, then this has been worth it... Perhaps I'll even make a friend, which is always nice...


2 comments: