Sunday, June 29, 2014

An Ice Chest Full of Organics

I went shopping today. I can only vaguely remember a time when I enjoyed grocery shopping. With knowledge comes sorrow, they say. Once i began learning about GMOs and organic food vs. conventional food, I slowly began the psyche plummet toward hating the grocery store, convenience, and all the things I used to be thankful for. Don't get me wrong. I am still grateful that I don't have to go milk a cow every morning, but there are some things you just can't unlearn.

So... now I read every label...High Fructose Corn Syrup? aww, man... Partially hydrogenated oil? Dang it! Artificial flavors and colors??? Damn it, nabisco! I loved oreos! Now i need a therapist to go to the grocery store...
The cost is so expensive! Any of you that buy organic know, you now spend more money on produce than on rent. But you can't NOT do it. because if you ever try to eat ...anything bad...EVER ...AGAIN...you will end up peeking at the label...and then ...instead of eating the guilty pleasure, the guilt eats you...

So? You buy organic food. It is delicious. You learn to cook because you can't buy it already made. There is both a pride and a resentment in that. It's a lot like being picked first for the quiz bowl team...You are honored, even though you know you were picked because you are a nerd and have nothing better to do than to absorb random trivia...

The switch to organic becomes even more complicated with children. My kids now try to hoard candy like a squirrel hides nuts for winter. Then I catch them and receive a resounding, "Sorry, warden..."

The good news is that prices are going down, and availability is going up. Organics can now be found at almost every grocery store, and stores are introducing their own cheaper brand of organic cuisine.  Praise God!...They even have oreos....

No comments:

Post a Comment